Friday, July 4, 2008

everything i am, i owe to my parents

Experts say, only the fifth commandment of God bears an evident promise: Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

I am born to the finest parents in the world. Both of them came from poor families who needed to strive hardest in order for them to eat. With that background, my father became a very diligent family man. Everything he gained, he gave to his family. With the little earnings he has, he bought an abode for us and sent us to decent schools. He dreamt that one day, his children would take home something he never had - a diploma. We did. And until now, he still cries everytime he hears the graduation march. My mother is a typical housewife - she stays at home yet she still lacks the time to do everything else and she smells nice only after taking a bath very late at night. She attended to us like we were princesses from some royalty, and she, a patient nanny. Her world revolved around the public market, the laundry, the kitchen, and the two girls whom she loved more than herself.

My father is my hero and my mother is my soulmate.

They are not perfect parents. Being their child, I can say a lot about their flaws with parenthood. But their imperfections are God's ways of showing me that nobody's perfect, it is okay to make mistakes, and there will be many times that I will be given a chance to make things right. I know it, my parents have showed me over and over.

Everything I am, I owe to my parents. Exaggerated? Well, I owe to them a major part of myself. It is true that we cannot choose our parents, but I am happy that God chose them for me.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com